• Blends flexible and rigid PCBs. Commonly formed with flexible circuits connecting several rigid flex boards, and the layers of flex are normally in the middle of rigid layers, like a sandwich, but there’re also some special designs in which flex circuits was on the top and bottom, instead of middle layers.
Advantage of Rigid-flex
•Double side component mounting: Rigid-flex are the ideal solution for flex circuits where surface mount components will be mounted on both sides of the board.
•Total cost of ownership: The maximum benefit of rigid-flex is realized when the complete installation is reviewed for total cost of ownership. Using rigid-flex eliminates connections in the flex-to-rigid transitions while improving impedance control stability.
•Most capable/Maximum vibration resistance: Lets you integrate the best capabilities of resistant rigid areas and resilient flex areas.
•High mass component mounting: When mounting a high mass component, a rigid board is the right solution. A rigid-flex board gives you a smooth transition between rigid and flex areas while preserving the benefits of each.
HDI for Flex:
• Smaller package size increases the need of HDI.
• Allows additional space for other features on the flexible PCB.
• Total cost of installation is reduced.
• Flex circuits eliminate several steps within the production process, shortening overall turn time and reducing cost.
Now here are some design guides for flexible circuit boards and welcome send us Gerber file after you finished flex circuit design and BEST TECHNOLOGY will be glad to check the drawing to make sure it’s workable for both you and manufacturing facility.