• Blends flexible and rigid PCBs. Commonly formed with flexible circuits connecting several rigid flex boards, and the layers of flex are normally in the middle of rigid layers, like a sandwich, but there’re also some special designs in which flex circuits was on the top and bottom, instead of middle layers.
Advantage of Rigid-flex
•Double side component mounting: Rigid-flex are the ideal solution for flex circuits where surface mount components will be mounted on both sides of the board.
•Total cost of ownership: The maximum benefit of rigid-flex is realized when the complete installation is reviewed for total cost of ownership. Using rigid-flex eliminates connections in the flex-to-rigid transitions while improving impedance control stability.
•Most capable/Maximum vibration resistance: Lets you integrate the best capabilities of resistant rigid areas and resilient flex areas.
•High mass component mounting: When mounting a high mass component, a rigid board is the right solution. A rigid-flex board gives you a smooth transition between rigid and flex areas while preserving the benefits of each.
HDI for Flex:
• Smaller package size increases the need of HDI.
• Allows additional space for other features on the flexible PCB.
• Total cost of installation is reduced.
• Flex circuits eliminate several steps within the production process, shortening overall turn time and reducing cost.